As a psychotherapist, I’ve found that it’s very important to support my clients in developing a spiritual connection. When you’re working to heal the past, there are always days where you really need help and guidance and there isn’t anyone available on the human level to give you exactly what you need.
You can develop your spiritual connection in many ways. Praying for help and guidance always works great, in whatever spiritual tradition you are in.
One of my favorite ways to pray for spiritual help is to ask my angels for help and guidance. Remembering to ask my angels for help has gotten me though many challenging times in my life. Hearing my angel’s guidance always feels like an incredible blessing to me.
Photo by Rakicevic Nenad from Pexels
Who Are the Angels?
Angels are messengers of God’s incredible, unconditional love for us. They are sent by God to help us and guide us whenever we remember to ask for their help.
Angels are just as available to you right now as they are to me or to anyone else. They can’t interfere with your life unless you ask, except when you are in a life-threatening situation.
Angels come from all religions and all faiths. You don’t have to be perfect, or worthy, or special in any way to have angelic help in your life. All you have to do is ask and they’ll be there.
Messages From Your Angels
When you ask for help and guidance, it’s great to know that you’ll actually get an answer.
There are 4 ways that we receive messages from our angels. We call them the 4 ‘clairs:’
- Clairvoyance means “clear seeing.” It brings divine guidance as pictures or miniature movies that your mind’s eye sees.
- Clairaudience means “clear hearing.” It involves the still small voice within that many people talk about. It may or may not sound like your own voice.
- Clairsentience means “clear feeling.” It involves receiving divine guidance as emotion or physical sensation such as a smell, tightened muscles, or a touch.
- Claircognizance means “clear knowing.” It’s when you suddenly know something for a fact, without knowing how you know.
Most people have one or two ‘clairs’ that they are more accustomed to. The only way you know which way you will receive guidance is to ask regularly and notice how your answers generally come. It’s important to stay open to receiving answers with all the ‘clairs,’ however, because the more you ask for guidance, the more ways your angel’s messages will be able to get through to you.
What Stops You From Receiving Your Angel’s Guidance
Many things can stop you from receiving guidance. Some of these include:
- Your own doubts and fears
- Your feelings of unworthiness
- Any unforgiveness you have towards anyone
- Any judgments you have about yourself or others
- Your lack of faith and trust in the Higher Power
If you want to receive guidance more regularly, it’s important to begin to work though these issues in your life.
Recognizing True Guidance from False Guidance
Sometimes it’s confusing to know when the thoughts or impressions you receive are actually true guidance.
Doreen Virtue, who wrote many books about angels, says that there are 12 ways you can recognize true guidance from false guidance:
1. True guidance is mature, and it has a loving, energizing feeling to it.
2. True guidance is consistent and it repeats itself over and over for days, months or years.
3. True guidance is about helping others, and it pushes you to fulfill your life’s mission.
4. True guidance doesn’t procrastinate, but tells you to work on important things right now, not next week or next month or next year.
5. True guidance is strong and powerful, it takes a lot of effort to ignore it.
6. True guidance sounds familiar and it often brings a feeling of “I knew that.”
7. True guidance speaks in second person, beginning with “You” rather than “I.”
8. True guidance feels like a warm hug rather than feeling cold and prickly and painful.
9. True guidance is supportive and it feels empowering.
10. True guidance is direct and “to the point” because God wants you to understand his messages clearly!
11. True guidance comes suddenly and completely, not as a result of your own reasoning and logic.
12. True guidance never puts us above or below others. With true guidance you never win at someone else’s expense.
How to Receive Your Angel’s Guidance More Regularly
Ask! Ask! Ask! The angels can’t interfere unless you ask, unless you’re in a life-threatening situation.
Whatever your challenge is–give it to God! Remember that God is everywhere and he already has the answers to all of your problems. Just ask and be willing to receive the answer!
Pay attention to any thoughts, feelings, or images you receive, because that is the way the angels will guide you.
End the unemployment problem in heaven—hire an angel!
Have you ever talked to your angels?
What is your experience with receiving angel guidance?
Kari Joys is a psychotherapist, a counselor and an educator, based in Spokane, Washington.