It's natural to seek comfort in signs from our loved ones who have passed away.
Many believe their departed loved ones communicate with them through various means. These signs may come in different forms, such as a feeling of presence or a particular object or event. Even though we may dismiss them as mere coincidences, they often leave us with a sense of awe and the belief that our loved ones are still watching over us.
Here are ten commonly reported signs people associate with their deceased loved ones.
- Sign: Electricity Manifestation: Flickering lights or appliances that switch on and off Message: Spirit is present
- Sign: Fragrance Manifestation: Familiar to deceased, including perfume or cigar Message: Spirit is present
- Sign Animal Manifestation: Insect or bird, including ladybug, butterfly, or bird. Message: Loved one is not alone
- Sign: Object in path Manifestation: Feather, coin, rock, or clothing Message: Possible symbolic message
- Sign: Number Manifestation: Repeated on clocks or billboards Message: Contact through anniversary or a particular number
- Sign: Dream Manifestation: Vivid, logical dream Message: Words, objects, or telepathy
- Sign: Thoughts Manifestation: Spontaneous thoughts Message: Personal, meaningful words
- Sign: Watchfulness Manifestation: Feeling of being watched Message: Ongoing love and protection
- Sign: Songs Manifestation: Music played in visited places Message: Lyrics that convey a significant message
- Sign: Buzzing Manifestation: High-frequency sound in ears Message: A signal to look at surroundings for a message
1. They Love to Play With Electricity
Playing with electricity seems to be one of the most common "signs of spirit." It is an easy way to grab our attention. Spirits like to flicker lights, turn the television or radio on and off, or make appliances beep for no apparent reason. Our loved ones can interfere with light and electricity because they're now pure energy. They can manipulate machines, TV, microwaves, etc. But, most of the time, they want to make us aware that they're with us.
If your television turns off or on for no apparent reason, start investigating the reason behind it:
- What show or channel is on? Is it a favorite show of your loved one? Is the radio playing their favorite song?
- When the lights flickered, what were you thinking about? Did you think about your loved one? Sometimes that thought can be an acknowledgment or even confirmation that your loved one is near.
2. They Give Off Fragrances
We can often tell our deceased loved ones are around us when we smell their scent: perfume, flowers, cigar or cigarette smoke, or any other smell associated with them. There may be no logical explanation for why the scent is there. This "sign" can sometimes seem confusing. As humans, we remember how our loved ones smell. We recognize a distinctive cologne or perfume they enjoyed or even the scent of an activity they performed. If your loved one used to work with cars and you smell motor oil out of the blue, try not to be scared. Instead, say "Hi!"
3. They Visit Through the Energy of an Animal
Our loved ones can use their energy to go inside an insect or animal—such as a butterfly, ladybug, bird, or dragonfly—for a brief time. Then, the animal will do something it usually wouldn't do, such as land on us, peck at our window, look at us, or scream at us. But, unfortunately, this is a sign some people ignore.
Our loved ones may try to communicate with us unimaginably. By using these symbols, they're sending us a message without trying to scare us. Instead, they're letting us know, "I'm with you. You're not alone!"
4. They Place an Object in Our Path
Our loved ones like to place objects in our path that are significant to just them. Coins, feathers, keys, and rocks are a few of the most common things they might leave for us.
How can we find meaning in these small gifts?
- If you find a coin in your path, look at its year and see if it is important between you and your deceased loved one.
- If you find a rock lying in the middle of your bed or your loved one's shirt in an odd place (that's not where you placed it before), this could be a sign from the other side.
- Try not to be scared and instead say "Hi!"
5. They Show Us Numbers
Our loved ones might show us relevant numbers to them or you. It could be a birthday, an anniversary, the date of their passing, the time of their death, or even repeating numbers such as 111, 222, 333, etc. These numbers may appear on clocks, billboards, or any other familiar place.
They can also come from family, friends, or even strangers.
- When driving, pay attention to the license plates in front of you and the billboards you pass by. Some of the best signs of numbers can come from bumper stickers sitting right in front of you. If you detect a pattern and believe your loved one is communicating with you, take comfort in knowing they are with you.
6. They Visit Us in Dreams
One of the easiest ways for our loved ones to communicate with us is through our dreams. A dream that is an actual visitation will be vivid, peaceful, and detailed. We will remember this type of dream many years later. You can analyze a few characteristics after having a spiritual visitation dream.
- It will be very vivid.
- It will be in color. Sometimes it can be in black and white, with the color being in the form of your loved one's clothing or something they are holding for you to see.
- It will be logical and have some message in words, physical objects, or even telepathy.
- You may feel like you need clarification upon waking up. You will feel happy, peaceful, or even fearful about what you experienced. (Fearful maybe from never experiencing such a dream before.)
All we need to do is to ask our loved ones to come, and they will. We can also ask them to wake us after they visit and to help us remember the dream.
7. They Place Thoughts in Our Minds
Our loved ones don't have an audible voice because they are in spirit form. Therefore, they give us messages telepathically. Pay attention to thoughts that "pop" into your head. If something your loved one would say comes to you for no apparent reason, it's probably them speaking directly to you. This form of communication is a true blessing! Sometimes it doesn't have to be a particular thought; it can come when the lyric to a song "pops" into your thoughts. Songs and music, like dreams, are universal methods of communication. Listen for the thoughts or songs. You'll know when they're not yours.
8. They Watch Over Us
Many of us have felt this one! It is possible to pick up on spiritual energy, especially when relaxed. When we're in the beginning stages of grief, we have a keener ability to "feel" our loved ones around us. There's a good reason for this. It simply isn't true that death is final. We may continue to feel our loved one's presence after their passing because they are still very much around us.
In the most profound grief, they will try to find a way to let us know they're with us. When we feel like we're being watched, we're being protected and watched over. But, above all else, we're still being loved. We're never alone!
9. They Make Songs Play at the Perfect Time
We know our loved one is around when their favorite songs come on at the right time with the exact words we need to hear. So often, the same music plays in many different places.
- Train yourself to listen to the music overhead in department stores, grocery stores, or even when walking into a restaurant.
- What song is playing when you're driving and turn on the radio?
- When you're watching TV, what song comes on at the beginning or end of a movie you're watching?
- When you're cleaning, turn on the music and see if a message is being delivered.
If your loved one loves music, this can be an easy form of communication.
10. They Buzz in Our Ears
Because our loved ones speak to us using a different, higher frequency, we may hear ringing when they're trying to get our attention. This is a signal to look for a message.
- Look at your surroundings—is there something significant to notice? A sign on the side of the road? A bird flying by? A particular cloud in the sky?
- Are you reading a book or newspaper or searching on the internet for something? Did you get the ringing in your ear(s) as you read a particular sentence? Re-read that sentence and look for a message.
- Maybe the ringing in your ear is after a particular thought—this could be a sign of validation from your loved one.
Some Final Thoughts
This list could go on, but these are the more common ways our loved ones let us know they're around us.
If you haven't received any of these signs, you can ask your loved one to come and let you know they're okay. For example, ask them to come to you in a dream or visit you as a butterfly. Ask them to come to you in the form of an animal. Then be aware of the message when it's given to you. Remember, though, your loved one may appear in many different ways: books, newspapers, Internet sites, etc.
The more we know the messages and acknowledge them when they arrive, the more our loved ones will continue to communicate with us. Be patient and persistent. As much as we want to share with our loved ones, they, too, want to communicate with us!
An Angelic Prayer for the Healing of Grief
(From our book 365 Prayers to the Angels)
An Angelic Prayer for comfort in time of loss. For those who have lost loved ones and are in need of healing and peace.
May your heart be comforted and lifted by this Angelic Prayer!
Please, help my loved ones who have passed away to have a smooth and peaceful transition back home to heaven. Help me remember them with love and gratitude rather than pain and despair. Please, relieve the pain caused by their deaths. Fill my void and heal my grieving heart. Help me regain peace and joy in the knowledge that their souls sweetly rest in the arms of heaven’s angels. Please, let them know that they are infinitely loved and shine my endless love upon their souls.